Wednesday, May 28, 2008

No Space for Swings at Rose Park. Huh?!?







Viv turned 3 today. I took Viv & Lou for a walk this evening while my aunt iced and decorated the Horse-Head Extravaganza cake! (Serious Extravaganza: sour cream chocolate icing, gummy worm mane, banana chip nostrils, pitted cherries for eyes, and strawberries to fill out the platter - YUMMM!)

To make the walk long enough for sufficient decorating, we strolled around Rose Park. My uncle and cousin Zach joined us. I mentioned a recently remodeled hard/landscaped house in Rose Park that is a particular favorite of mine - and we set out for our goal. We passed through Rose Park on our way, and I noticed the owner of Portfolios, with Jeff Anderson and a couple other RPNA Neighborhood Association faces. With my two babies and work, I rarely make it to neighborhood meetings or events -- but I ALWAYS want to! Anyhow, these 5 or so folks were standing around several pallets of material, with a doll-house-looking thing in the middle. I popped into the group and said, "Hi, did I miss another neighborhood event?"

Portfolio Owner Gal (God, I wish I could remember her name. I've been introduced a couple times, I think it's like Cassie, but not exactly) told me that there wasn't an event, but getting ready for an event. Oooh, the Gazebo has arrived!

I can't say that without sarcasm, because I feel that this is the least worthwhile use of our neighborhood's space and money. Now, I will admit I haven't gone to meetings to make my point, or to try to redirect the efforts. I just read the newsletter and scoff at the idealistic, sometimes selfish-seeming agendas being promoted. But, I will say, I should get involved. As soon as my children & work allow me time to wash my hair on a daily basis, I will get myself to those meetings!




I asked Portfolio Gal, with a glance at Jeff to bring him into the conversation, if any crazy person like myself had ever mentioned a play structure for the neighborhood kids??? She said, oh yeah, have you seen the plans? (Meaning the 3'x5' board that's been planted on the north side of Rose Park for over a year.) I'm sure my eyes widened, and I started to get excited as I imagined some play structure pasted on top of the original, no-play-structure drawing!

Here's our conversation (only slightly condensed):

I said: "Oh, yes, I've looked at the plans...Did they add one???"

Portfolio Gal: "Oh, no. There is no place for a play structure. It has been brought up in the past, but we found we don't have enough room by city guidelines. We would have to cut down a tree, which we're not allowed to do. And we can't have it too close to the street, because of the city."

I said: "Oh, wow, that's too bad. You know, as the mother of a 3 y.o. and 1 y.o. I have to say that without a dedicated area or structure, the neighborhood kids are going to destroy anything the RPNA puts up."

Her: "oh, yeah...."

Me: "I mean, Suja has kids, seems like we should get her on board with this..."

Her: "Here's Suja now..." (as she was turning away from me, back to the little group that was assembling discussing moving the pallets to Suja's yard)

I waved my goodbye and let them get on with their planning. I just shook my head as I walked away. I think it's bears mentioning that Rose Park is located at the intersection of Orizaba & 8th Street. Orizaba, from 7th to 8th, is one of the most rental-rich streets in our neighborhood. When I walk through the park I generally see the following:










  • teenagers/young adults making out





  • pre-teen kids skateboarding in and on everything





  • tagging on the new benches the RPNA put in last year





  • tagging on the concrete pad the RPNA put in last year (where the rose garen used to be, before the RPNA dug it out and gave us a dirt-surrounded concrete pad that's been there for over a year!)





  • bands of unsupervised children 5-11 or so years old roaming the park, making up games, taunting each other, sometimes fighting






Now, I know Rose Park is not Belmont Shore (duh), but if community members and parents can save the Livingston Park Tot Lot from becoming a parking lot (I mean Joni Mitchell sang about that unstoppable force decades ago) -- what do we lower socio-economic dwellers of the Rose Park Neighborhood have to do to get some swings and sand?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Portfolio Gal is Kirsten.
As to the playground issue, has anyone thought of a fence? It seems to me that the neighborhood would prefer more supervised activity in that park. If there were a playground, it would mostly be populated by families, and some of the shadier players might be deterred from some less desirable activities. Do you think the substance abuse people might be barring a playground? Maybe it would be too close to them. Hmmm. Puzzling.

Grace Olson-Bonilla said...

Kirsten, but per Karen of Look Graphics (and rose park neighbor) it's pronounced Kaston. Kaston did tell me that they would be erecting a thigh-high fence around the park, with openings at the walkways. I guess that's something. I hadn't considered substance abuse centers (or reg'd sex offenders) who may be impacted by a play structures presence. It seems like it would bring good forces, rather than bad. Suja's Field Assistant emailed me back; told me to come to their monthly community lunch. I'll report back...