Sunday, May 25, 2008

Travertine & Pickled Egg Guarantee (c/o Joe Jost's)

I'm proud to present Medallia de Oro's 8 tasteful condos. Working with an experienced builder who is truly committed to the craftsmanship - and the subsequent quality of life once he hands each condo over to it's final owner - is a treat! The problem it's presented is this: How do I communicate that this building really is different from all the DIY-Home-Depot condo conversions that *swear* they "won't disappoint" - and then do. ???

I wonder what other realtors think when they walk into these "completely upgraded" condo conversions and find fiberglass kit showers where the wannabe 'builders' cheaped out and didn't even install shower doors, but just put up a tension rod with a TACKY shower curtain!?! Or when the gaps in the 'luxury' molding is big enough to stick your finger in?!? Or bad particle board cabinets, with mis-matching hardward finishes everywhere? Or, my favorite: sagging, poorly repainted cabinet shelves that the 'builders' couldn't be bothered to replace!?!! I mean, if I want to see a bad, 2-day TLC project, I'll TiVO it. The embellished - okay, let's be real - the FALSE descriptions offend me! My time is precious, and I don't like being misled.

So, that brings me back to my initial question. What magic words can I write to tell other agents and their buyers, "No, seriously, this is how you'd want it to look if you did it yourself." ??? With all the posers mis-representing their product as "quality," what secret handshake can I electronically deliver to let folks now we're legit? I mean, I want to create solid relationships with my fellow realtors - and tricking them into showing my listing isn't how I plan to do it.

Maybe I'll try something like this: Check out a professional remodel. Seriously. How about a guarantee? If our units don't measure up to the MLS description, schooner of beer at Joe Jost's -- AND a Joe's Special -- are on me!

No comments: