Sunday, May 25, 2008

Postlets and Preschool

I never thought I would be this type of mom. I certainly never thought I would be this type of mom when my child was just 2 years and 11 months old!

Here's what I did: I woke up at 3:45am on May 20th. I jumped in the shower, dressed, threw my folding chair and blanket in the trunk, drove to WaMu to get some cash, and then drove to my preschooler's school. I arrived at 4:35am. I was 4th in line.

By 5:30am there were probably 15 moms and dads. By 6:30am there were 20 something. By 7am there were atleast 30!

It's not like we're talking about some shishi Manhattan preschool. My daughter attends the Long Beach City College Child Development Center. Of course I think it's the best thing around -- otherwise we wouldn't go there. But I never imagined I would feel so strongly about bleepity bleeping PRESCHOOL! The scene was just a civilized, older version of opening day ticket sales (or if you're not a baseball fan, maybe the scene at TicketMaster when the hottest touring band's show goes on sale)!

This crazy scene was precipitated by the cancellation of the long-running, community-building, parent-empowering Parent Participation Preschool classes at both the PCH and Carson LBCC campuses. That saga's post must be saved for another day. Needless to say, us parents of 2-3 year olds found ourselves vying for 18 spots in the sought-after full day class, with more than twice that many returning preschool students.

And that's how I found myself camped out on PCH & Orange at 4:35am on Tuesday, May 20th.

I hope I find the time to put that down in my daughter's baby book (which has all of 3 entries, all pre-birth) so when she tells me I never do anything for her, I can flip it open and say, 'Oh, yeah?!' Look at what I did on May 20th, 2008!

No comments: